Corporal Blackburn - 1863

Dear Family,

June 29, 1863
I don't know how long it's been since this war started. Just one day after another of dying comrades, we've all given up on getting to know each other because we know we'll probably be dead by the end of the week.

July (I think)
These past few days have been one horror after another, God I've lost track of time. We've been fighting in and around Gettysburg for I think three days. It all started when we were getting shoes in Gettysburg, we thought we were the only ones, but we were so, so very wrong, just when we got there we saw them, the rebs. From there it all went to hell. Just on the way back my feet slipped on heads, and sank into corpses there were 23,000 casualties for the Union reported so far and most don't have names attached to the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1865, I can’t find words

Hard Tack - 1862

1864 Blog- Edward Dunn