I'm still alive

Dear father (Samuel)     

1861 has passed fast as a blink of an eaye I'm glad that I'm not a casualty like many of my feloow soldier. We now have taxes because of the war hope you dont have a hard time keeping up with them it would make me feel bad since I am part of it to, but I do want you to feel proud and glad that your son is alive. Although we are not religious I still pray to God to give me all the time on land, and I also hope you are paying for me and our relatives. Thus letter will have to come to an end, I hope that we win thus war because right now (1861) we went doing so good, but untill now we all have hope, I'm sorry I couldn't write more, but I have to put statements out to the world.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Your dear son
                                                (Private) Melvin Thomas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1865, I can’t find words

Hard Tack - 1862

1864 Blog- Edward Dunn