One Bloody Battle

Deer Father and Kathryn,
July 4, 1863

I’m all right, safe and bearly healthy but I am lucky. Lucky too be alive, unlike many. Yesterday was when da battle of Gettysburg. Dear lord, it was terrifyin. I was not fightin on de battlemfeild,
But I did help wit supplies and the medics. It was indead disterbin to watch and sea the bloody, dieing men. I wish I could save dem all but I couldn’t. I heard the battle started with a clash over shooes. Maney said it be foolish to fight over shoes. But what they don’t no is dat I need shoes. We all need dem shoes. But we will all be alright, I’m safe but always hungry.

Well, I must go. I’ll be practicin on English for you two.

Sinceerly, (Private) Wilson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1865, I can’t find words

Hard Tack - 1862

1864 Blog- Edward Dunn